Skip Navigation

What To Do if You Observe Signs of Underage Alcohol Use

As with all sensitive issues involving students, educators need to follow appropriate policies and procedures. Your school or school district may have substance abuse prevention and treatment programs. Your school nurse may be the person responsible for referrals. Be sure to check with the proper authority.

Your county’s health department probably has substance abuse services and is another good source for information. The county agency may be called “alcohol and drug programs” or “behavioral health” or may be within a mental health services division. A call to the county health agency’s general information number should point you in the right direction.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator includes a quick search feature to help you find details about substance abuse treatment programs in your area.